How we printed out and binded our own
Authorized King James Bibles.

(Pure Cambridge Edition)




I printed our download double-sided so that the Bible would not be very thick. I printed out pages 1-100 odd. I then stacked them and put a Bible on top of them so they could flatten and then cool. The printer could also cool. After a few minutes, we put them all back in the printer and printed out pages 1-50 even. This way I could look at them carefully and make sure that no papers misfed and that no pages were skipped which would result in mismatched pages. If there were a mistake, I could catch it and not mess up as many pages. I kept notes as I went along as to what page numbers I was on. This kept me from getting confused. After I got all 100 pages printed out, we 19-hole punched them with our GBC holepunch/binder (to the left in the picture).




I jogged/straightened the 100 pages so that the holes lined up and then put binder clips on them to secure them. Then we sewed them with regular thread like in the illustrations on our method (steps 3, 4, and 5).




I took two file folders (one for the front cover, one for the back cover) and 19-hole punched them. I then ran packaging tape around the edges of it to secure them and make the area strong where the holes were. I poked a needle through the tape where the holes were so we could sew through them.

I went back to my computer to print out pages 101-201 and repeated all the above steps. Our download has a total of 544 pages, so we repeated the above steps about five times. When I had finished doing this, I assembled the Bible on the edge of the table and tied it together in three spots to temporarily stabilize it for sewing.





We placed the Bible between our knees and then used our method, with yarn, to sew it together. I took out the stabilizing stitches when I got them as I was sewing. I've learned to be careful not to sew too tightly, it can put a strain around the holes of the paper and the Bible does not lay out as flat. A medium tension works best.



Front of my daughter's Bible.
"The Holy Bible AV 1611." We had no more black file folders at this time.
Doubled up posterboard would have also worked as a cover. The cover of my Bible reads, "Holy Bible Authorized King James Version of 1611 Pure Cambridge Edition" in plain printing.





Side view. After this picture was taken, we went back over the entire cover
(front and back) inside and out with packaging tape to strengthen and protect it. We now do this step before sewing the Bible together.

Update: For the spine, we used duct tape to cover it. We cut strips the length of the Bible and overlapped them long ways so that they would form a spine and used it to cover the spine of the Bible to protect it. [Aside: We also use duct tape to reinforce areas of regular 3-ring binders that can wear out with much use (covers can come off).]





The Bible opens nice and wide. Each cover consists of one file folder, its edges taped with packaging tape. A box or a pillow case (or canvas/denim sewed into a form like a pillow case) could be used to protect the Bible when transporting it or storing it in the car. [If the Bible and its cover were three-hole punched before sewing, then it could be placed in a binder for further protection when transportating.]

Download The Authorized King James Version of 1611 (Pure Cambridge Edition)
A Simple, Strong, Secure Bookbinding Method
A Three-Ring Binder